7.19.2010

3rd Tonchinkan by Ishido '遁珍閑 ' - 石堂


Just picked up from the post office today. This is a used kanna, and the dai was trash, so I had the blades sent ahead by EMS. It has been sharpened at a skew, and looks to either have had bad uradashi (tapping out) or none at all when flattening the back. Either way, I'm happy to have it in my hands and with its siblings. This is my 3rd Tonchinkan blade, and 4th Ishido blade. It came with a chipbreaker, but unlike my newer ones, doesn't appear to made by Ishido. It is not uncommon for chipbreakers (tomo osae) to be outsourced. I read recently of one of Chiyozuru Sadahide's former apprentices making them as a profession. This blade has extra kanji over the Tokyo Plane Makers Association Mark, compared to the newer ones. The back is stamped the same as the other two Tonchinkan blades.



























No comments:

Post a Comment