7.15.2010

Tonchinkan by Ishido '遁珍閑 ' - 石堂




This an older post from my other blog, I felt it would fit in here better. These kanna were obtained through Iida Tomohito of Iida Tools in Osaka, Japan. The blades were forged by Ishido Hideo and his son Ishido Yoshitaka (石堂良孝). Ishido Hideo passed away a few years ago and this may not be his "best" blade but I am proud to own even one of his lower lines of blades. The blade by Yoshitaka looks to be every bit as fine. The blades are both 70mm Blue Steel #1 with laminated chipbreakers and carry the name "Tonchinkan" (遁珍閑) .The blades were not yet set in a dai yet, so Iida-san politely asked if I didn't mind waiting a week to have them set. My blades were then sent to Inomoto Isao a daiya shokunin in Sanjo. They were both set at a standard 8 bu (8/10 or 38.5°) as recommended by Inomoto-san per my description of the softwood I use. Both dai are oimasame grain pattern and have tsutsubo. It is hard to express the exceptional quality of the dais, as the soles came "pre-tuned" and are just perfect as can be. The photos show the Ishido Hideo blade on the left and Yoshitaka blade on the right (the blue pictures are the ones Iida-san sent me). Here is a link to Iida Kanamono the Japanese language website of Iida Tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment