7.19.2010

Maebiki Oga From Rust to Finish



One of three large rips saws I have owned. I still have the other two I bought with this one. These are one man saws, comparable to a pit-saw. The angled toe is to allow to saws to cross paths in the same kerf. This would take a very well trained pair of sawyers working on opposite sides of a log. These are used either under a braced log, on top of a braced log, or sideways working down a log. Unlike other Japanese saws, the blades on these are usually maintained by the sawyer. Setting teeth and filing are done until the blade wears down far enough to need new teeth cut again. These saws are only edge tempered (due to size of saw), and would need to be retempered when new teeth were filed or punched. I don't leave my tools sitting outside, these rusty pictures were taken before the saws left Japan.


























2 comments:

  1. Is anyone producing saws like this. I have to rip some logs by my self, because its the only way to cut it as i want to cut it. I've just came from local sawmill and i am not satisfied. They always make some mistakes and i dont get what i want. Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ida Tool of Kyoto, Japan had some NOS (new old stock) saws in their inventory a few years ago. They may have some left in their inventory. I do not know of anyone making rip saws anymore, there is still at least one blacksmith ( one of the Nakaya )producing the big one and two man crosscut saws. I still have a few of these saws, and will be listing some tools on eBay soon.

    ReplyDelete